Sunday, August 9, 2009

Leftover "Pizzas"

Last night we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner because I needed something simple. After dinner, I had about 3/4 c. of sauce and 2 large meatballs left, which we promptly refrigerated.

Today for lunch, I looked in the fridge for some ideas. I saw the container of sauce on the shelf but had to figure out how to make lunch for three kids out of it. In the drawer of the fridge, I spied some flour tortillas that really needed to be eaten. There were four of them...perfect! I made tortilla pizzas:


In order to give the pizza slices enough support to eat them, I always use two tortillas for pizzas.....I place one on the baking sheet, spread a bit of pizza sauce (or in this case, spaghetti sauce)on top of it, and then "glue" the second tortilla on top. Then I top that second tortilla with my pizza toppings. If you really like a nice crispy crust, before topping the second tortilla, brush it with a bit of olive oil and pop just the "crust" into the oven for about 5 minutes, then proceed with the pizza-making.

For today's pizza, I chopped up the two meatballs and sprinkled them around each pizza, then covered it with shredded cheese. Into the oven they went for about 10 minutes at 400°. My kids absolutely LOVED them, especially how the tortilla edges crisp up. I had to admit, I ended up sharing the lunch with them because they were very good. :-)

Lunch made from two meatballs...see what you can do with leftovers???

3 comments:

  1. Ooohh...that's a neat way to use up leftover spaghetti sauce and meatballs. I love coming to your blog for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great quick way for a pizza fix! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking for just me and my toddler tortilla or flat bread left over "pizzas" are a staple here! My favorite is sloppy joe and Isaac"s is BBQ! But I swear ANYTHING tastes good spread on a crust and topped with cheese!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!