Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hen House Bargain Meal of the Week


When I looked at the Hen House ad this week, I had a moment of panic. It can be very difficult to find a bargain meal at Hen House, which is a bit of a higher-end grocery store. Their meat prices are almost always more than I am willing to pay, so I have to look at everything very carefully. One tip if you're a Hen House shopper: go in the store as close to 8 a.m. as possible. Head directly for the meat department. Somewhere in that area, generally on a big silver tray on top of the reach-in bins, you will find clearance meats. The stores here mark those packages down to at least half-price, often lower. You can get some really good deals, but you have to be an early bird!!

After a more careful perusal of the ad this week, my bargain meal jumped right out at me. It's a family favorite that I am sure you will love, too. I can't make this one often enough to please my kids...it's their favorite way to eat chicken! Let's get cooking!!

Your shopping list for Hen House:

1 lb. fresh boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins - $2.99 sale
1 pkg. Bar-S Sliced Bacon - $2.50 sale
1 bag Birds Eye Steamfresh or frozen vegs. - $1.50 sale

You will also need:

Ranch dressing
Monterrey-Jack (or your favorite) shredded cheese
Baking potatoes


Jack's Ranch Chicken

1 lb. chicken tenderloins - $2.99
6 slices bacon - $1.25
1/2 c. ranch salad dressing - $.50
1/2 c. shredded cheese - $.50

Spray a skillet with non-stick spray. Cook your chicken tenderloins until done. Place the tenders in a 13 x 9 baking pan that has also been sprayed with the non-stick spray. Set aside.

Cook the bacon in the same skillet (or in the microwave on paper towels, the way I do it) until cooked and crisp. Cut or crumble the bacon.

Pour dressing over chicken strips in pan. Top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.

Place in oven and broil on low until cheese is melted and bubbly.


Serve with:

4 large baked potatoes (and top with the remaining dressing in the pan - $2.00
Prepared Birds Eye veggies - $1.50

Total cost of meal: $8.74

(Note: I know this is above the $5 that I said was my goal, but I've decided to increase that goal to $10. That allows me to make tastier and more interesting meals and is still WAY less expensive than going out.)

For more great menu ideas, be sure to check out 5Dollar Dinners!!!

2 comments:

  1. The Hen House in Lee's Summit usually has marked down meat available all day long!

    Some of the Price Chopper stores put marked down meat out at 8:00 a.m. and you do have to be there early to get it. Apparently this isn't a chain-wide practice, though. :(

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!