Thursday, March 5, 2009

Leftover Pork and Country Soup

I had a request (thanks, Laurie) to discuss what to do with leftover pork chops (and fish, but that one is going to take me awhile since we don't eat fish! lol). As part of the leftover pork discussion, I am going to post one of my family's favorite soup recipes for the great recipe swap over at Grocery Cart Challenge! Read on.....

Pork chops can be diced up and used in recipes, sometimes even substituted for ham. One thing that I do frequently is a pork stuffed bread. Mushrooms and mozzarella cheese are wonderful additions to the pork and make a yummy dinner bread.

This one may sound a little over-the-top, but my kids enjoyed it. I have made a pork pizza. It's best with alfredo sauce, and is really good and a little different.

Cubed pork is also a great addition to a homemade quiche. Swiss or mozzarella cheese would be tasty with it.

If you would like something with a little more kick, you can simmer the cubed pork in your favorite bbq sauce and make a delicious sandwich similar to a sloppy joe.

I found a recipe in my latest Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine that inspired the use of leftover pork. It's called Chinese Roast Pork Paninis. You could modify this recipe and use your cubed pork by simply simmering the pork in a sauce made of 1 T. hoisin sauce, 1 T. honey, 1/2 T. sesame oil, 1/2 T. soy sauce, and sauteed chopped onion if you like that. Cook up on fresh bread on your panini press.

And finally, here is the soup recipe I promised. Originally, I made this soup with cubed ham, but recently used it for leftover chopped pork, and it was great.

Country Soup

1 c. water
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed to about 1/2"
1 package Country Gravy Mix (I use Pioneer)
2 c. milk
1 cup/can whole kernel corn
Leftover pork, or 1-2 cups cubed cooked ham

In large saucepan, bring water and potato cubes to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, whisk gravy mix into milk until smooth.
Add gravy mixture, pork, and corn to saucepan with potatoes (do not drain).
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min., stirring occasionally.

All of my kids love this soup, surprisingly enough. Hopefully yours will, too! As always, if you have any great uses for leftover pork chops, please share them! I know I'm forgetting a lot of ideas, but at least this is a great start.

And for a variety of fantastic recipes from around the blogosphere, be sure and visit Gayle's recipe swap!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, Janelle, thank you for the suggestions! I especially like the Paninis. They sound good!

    The soup is definitely something I'll be trying in the near future!

    I know, the fish, is a real stumper! Hubby says, "just don't cook so much.' Little does he know that I like re-creating leftovers so I'm just in the habit of 'over-cooking.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these ideas for using leftovers! Thanks for the ideas, and I'll definitely be trying this soup recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about a fish taco recipe for that leftover fish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I stopped by and followed you but did not see a Techno link. Are you a member of Technorati? I wll be glad to follow you if you are. Anyways, thanks for playing along with us. Stop by often! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am always looking for new things to make for my family so I am glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup sounds like dinner tonight. I love Pioneer Gravy mix. I am thanking you for stopping by my Spring Fling Giveaway for Girl Scout Cookies yesterday. Spring Fling was a Blast. I am thankful it is over. Wore me out. I am exhausted. I will be doing my drawing in a little bit.
    Good Luck!!
    Your Girl Scout Leader sounds like she needs to get a job somewhere, and quit being a GS leader. She is supposed to be a Mentor for our young girls, and instead she is drinking and visiting. Sorry about their luck, Girl Scouts was a great time in my life. I loved it. Hopefully the girls can get a new leader.
    Have a Great DAy!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!