Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hen House Bargain Meal of the Week 4/1/09

This week, we're going for quick and easy. Skillet Bow Tie Lasagna is a recipe that I've relied upon for several years when I need a fast meal that my kids will absolutely love.

Here's your shopping list for the week:

Fresh ground round, on sale for $2.69/lb.
Barilla pasta in Bow Ties, on sale for .98
Crusty Baguette (in the bakery), on sale for .99
Dole Classic Iceberg lettuce, on sale for .99
Cottage cheese if you don't have some in the fridge (not on sale)

Skillet Bow Tie Lasagna

1/2 lb. ground beef - $1.35
1/2 t. minced garlic - neg.
1 can diced tomatoes, UNdrained - .99
1 1/2 c. water - 0
1 can tomato paste - .79
2 t. dried italian seasoning - neg.
2 1/2 c. uncooked bow tie pasta - .49
3/4 c. cottage cheese - .50
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese - .25

Cook beef with garlic, drain. Add undrained tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and seasonings; mix well.

Stir in pasta and bring mixture to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until pasta is tender.

Combine cottage cheese and parmesan cheese in bowl. Drop by tablespoons on top of the pasta mixture. Cover and cook 5 minutes.

Serve with a side salad (.99) and baguette bread (.99).

Total cost of meal: $6.35.

For more great meal ideas on a budget, visit 5 Dollar Dinners!

2 comments:

  1. I a great idea I have never heard of such a meal I am going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good meal. I've got a thing against lasagna, but I think I could do this. My lasagna problem is just with the shape of the noodles and a bad childhood experience. Anyway, your recipe looks good!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!