Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hen House Bargain Meal of the Week, 4/22/09

Wow...I didn't realize it had been so long since I had participated in this challenge. I'm so sorry to anyone who checks for the lastest meal deal! Life has just been getting in the way lately and I've neglected this poor blog. I am trying to get back on track, and here is the latest Hen House Bargain Meal!

This week there are some meat sales, but most of the prices are still too high to be considered a "bargain." I did, however, find that fresh chicken drumsticks are on sale and that reminded me of a wonderful recipe that I found online. I used it for chicken leg quarters, and the kids loved it! The actual recipe calls for drumsticks, so it's perfect for today's Bargain Meal! It also fits into the category of lighter summer fare, which is the direction we're headed these days! :)

Your purchase list from Hen House for today's meal is:

1 1/2 lbs chicken drumsticks - on sale for $1.39/lb - $2.10
1 seedless watermelon (yum!) - $3.99
2 lbs. fresh green beans - on sale for .99/lb - $1.98

From the pantry: Flour, salt, paprika, pepper, margarine/butter.

Your menu:

Delicious Drumsticks (click on the link to go right to the recipe)
Cooked fresh green beans (add bacon bits or bits of ham for great flavor)
Sliced watermelon

Total cost of meal: $8.07, and I bet you have lots of watermelon and green beans left for the next day!!

Does that sound like a great summer meal, or what?? I love watermelon in the warmer weather, and it complements this chicken beautifully.

Let me know if you try this, and how you like it! And for more wonderful budget dinner ideas, click on the button on the right to go to 5 Dollar Dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!