Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

A couple of nights ago, we had Chicken Parmesan for dinner. One of the breasts was HUGE and we ended up with a large chunk of leftover chicken, some sauce, and some spaghetti noodles. The kids informed me that Chicken Parmesan was only good on the first day and would not eat it for lunch the next day. So, I was left with this:

I needed a lunch for the kids and I, so I came up with the idea of creating a Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Bread. Sounds a bit out-of-the-ordinary, but it was really good! They loved it. I just smile - it isn't good unless it's wrapped in bread?? Kids!!

I loaded my bread machine about 8:30 this morning with a nice french bread recipe. I pulled out the dough when it was done and rolled it out on my baking stone:

I took that leftover chicken and cubed it up, spreading it along the center of my dough like so:

Then I added some parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella:

I braided the dough over the filling:

And let it rise nicely. I popped it into a 400° oven for about 30 minutes and it came out nicely browned. Take a peek:

We had these wonderful slices for our lunch, and all three kids loved them:

There was enough sauce and spaghetti left for a side dish, too!

So it might be a little bit different use for leftover Chicken Parmesan, but creativity is such an important factor in frugality. Isn't something unique and delicious much better than wasting leftover chicken?? And I got a whole other meal for everyone out of what one person might have eaten as it was! You have to love that!

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea! My grandmother used to do something like this for us as kids. If it was for breakfast she made a sweet dough and oh it was good. Thanks for reminding me of this!

    Jonica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janelle, what kind of bread machine do you have? I am considering getting one off craigs list. Thanks. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current one is a Zojirushi. I got it at a rummage sale for $3 because it didn't work. All it needed was the reset button pressed. Ha!! I've been using it for about 12 years! I also still have my prior model as a backup, and it's a Hitachi. I love that one, too! They are both at the higher end of the machines, but they last for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! My family would really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did you braid the bread? it looks really good and what an awesome way to use leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!