Saturday, May 30, 2009

Briefly Revisiting Meatloaf

Way back when my blog was new, I talked about what to do with leftover meatloaf. That post is here if you're new to Not Just Leftovers. Tonight, I did something new even for me with a chunk of meatloaf that remained from a meal earlier this week. One of the most essential things you can do in order to stretch your groceries is to experiment and be flexible.

I looked in my refrigerator today and found that I had about 1/5 of a large meatloaf left, along with a little rice (about 1/2 c.), a cup or so of corn, and a couple of cups of mashed potatoes. So, I decided to clean it all out and create dinner. First, I cut the loaf into small cubes and set it aside. Then I made 2 cups of brown gravy (boil water, add base/bouillon, dissolve, mix in cornstarch and water and let thicken - easy). After the gravy was nice and thick, I dumped in the meat, rice, and corn. I poured this into a shallow casserole and topped with the mashed potatoes and some shredded cheese. Yep, a perfect shepherd's pie!

I was going to take a photo of the creation, but I had a bit of a mess in making it. I had put the potatoes into my Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator, but it didn't function too well and instead of a pretty topping, I ended up with a mess that included potatoes on my countertop, stovetop, and floor. *sigh* So it isn't too pretty, and not worth documenting with a photo!! However, it tastes great and kids ate it up, which makes it worth doing.

3 comments:

  1. hmm...you've inspired me...I have a hunk of leftover smoked meatloaf in the fridge...and if it doesn't call out hubbie's name overnight, I will have to grab it and do something with it. Thinking a noodle dish with the sauteed onions and mushrooms I just made. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I have leftover meatloaf, too, but no mashed potatoes left and no desire to make more. :( So, I guess we'll be having meatloaf sandwiches tonight (late supper), but I'm definitely keeping this in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and if the kids ate it up happily who needs a photo? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!