Friday, January 9, 2009

Another Note on Leftover Bread

One thing that I neglected to mention in my previous blog is leftover hot dog and hamburger buns. Invariably, we end up having a few of these left whenever I buy them. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often, because I tend to make them instead, and I never have those left-over!

So, if you've eaten the burgers and the "dogs" and still have a few buns sitting sadly on the counter, what do you do? You could make bread crumbs out of them, but I'd save that for the stale stuff and the heels and crusts. My family just LOVES when I turn those buns into garlic bread!

It's very simple. Just separate your buns into 2 pieces - you'll have round bread out of hamburger buns, and a wide bread "stick" of sorts from hot dog buns. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and butter them. I generally use the butter spray for this. Then, you can sprinkle on some garlic powder or minced garlic if you like the stronger flavor. Alternately, you can melt the butter, stir in the garlic, and brush it onto the buns. Another thing that I like to do is sprinkle them with a little shredded mozzarella, too.

Pop these babies into the oven and broil for 5-7 minutes, until beautifully browned (and with bubbly cheese if you used it). Your family might not even realize that these are "recycled" buns!

Or, one more thing, but this works best with hamburger buns or sub rolls. You can make mini-pizzas for the kids! Ever had French Bread Pizza (if not, you realllly need to try it!!!!)?? Split your buns and again lay them on a cookie sheet. Spread with tomato/pizza sauce, your toppings of choice (i.e. leftovers in the fridge!), and some mozzarella cheese. Bake these (as opposed to broiling) for about 10 minutes at 375°. Yum!!!

So many ways to use up bread.......please share yours!!

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea for the buns! the garlic bread sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really like garlic bread made from leftover buns.

    Sometimes we just eat buns instead of regular sliced bread for toast, sandwiches, etc.

    Speaking of bread, can I request a couple of recipes? Your recipe for homemade buns (my recipes turns out pretty heavy), and also your recipe or method for the meat-stuffed breads you've mentioned a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used up bread by making bread crumbs, as you described on your earlier post, and by making garlic bread.

    Sometimes I make croutons with my leftover bread pieces too! Cut up into bite size pieces. Apply the butter with a brush or use butter spray. Sprinkle on whatever seasonings you want, throw them in the oven to bake for approx. 10 minutes. Take out and let cool. Store in airtight container.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!