Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chicken Packets

I got a great deal recently on chicken leg quarters, and when I cook them, I generally cook off the full 10 lbs in my crock pots, then shred the meat for a variety of meals, and make a batch of chicken noodle soup with the resulting chicken stock. Since this is almost like having leftover chicken, I'm going to post some of the recipes that I turn to when I need to use up bits of chicken that remain from meals. This week, I'm not using "leftover" chicken, but it's certainly a similar enough concept to post some of the recipes!

Chicken Packets are one of my kids' all-time favorite meals. I only make them when I get a good deal on crescent rolls, which isn't terribly often, but they really are quite yummy, and very versatile.


Chicken Packets

1-2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken
1 c. chicken-flavored white sauce (melt 1 T. butter in pan, stir in 1 T. flour. Gradually blend in 1 c. chicken stock. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens)
1/2 cup (or any amount) of leftover cooked veggies, like sauteed celery, corn, peas
3 oz. cream cheese (optional)
2 tubes of crescent rolls

Make your chicken-flavored white sauce. Once it has thickened, stir in the cream cheese (if using) until melted. Then stir in your chicken and any additional ingredients you need or want to use.

Unroll your crescents into 8 rectangles. Roll out gently, pressing the perforations together, to form a solid rectangle. Place 2-3 T. of chicken mixture on one half of the rectangle, then fold over the other half to cover. Press to seal around the edges and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350°. If you have some left, they will reheat well for lunch the next day, or my son says they are just as good cold if I put one in his lunchbox.

When you're all done, you end up with 8 of these beauties:

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I make a similar recipe and my kids love, love, love it! I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very good, I have some leftover chicken to use:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!