Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Celebrating National Chocolate Cake Day!!!

I'm going to re-visit my use-up-those-leftover-bananas posting and wish everyone a Happy National Chocolate Cake Day at the same time!

Today I was doing some freezer reorganization and making room for pre-cooked meals for my family to eat next week while I'm in the hospital. In doing so, I uncovered a bag of over-ripe bananas (5 of them). I couldn't throw them out!!! I thawed them a bit, removed the peel, and let them finish thawing in a bowl. Then I had to figure out what to do with them. My husband had been reminding me all day that today is National Chocolate Cake day, so I figured I would try and make a nice compromise using the bananas.

I got a chocolate cake mix and dumped it into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer. I dumped in the bowl full of bananas (wow...this just sounds scrumptious so far, doesn't it?? lol) and then added the 3 eggs called for by the cake mix instructions. I started mixing it and it seemed a bit dry, so I added 2/3 of a cup of water and beat it on medium-high for about 2 minutes. It looked pretty good.

Into my stoneware Bundt pan went the mixture and I popped it into the oven for about 50 minutes at 375°. It smelled heavenly!!!! The cake came right out of the pan and after it cooled for a bit, I put it on a platter. I happened to have some leftover chocolate Pillsbury icing in my refrigerator from a dessert a week or so ago. I put the container in the microwave for about 45 seconds until it was the consistency of a glaze and drizzled it all over the top of the cake, running a bit down the sides and into the center.

This cake was great!! It had just the right blend of chocolate and banana and was soooo moist!!!! Everyone loved it. And even with the glazing, it was still a fairly low-fat cake. It could probably be made better with egg whites or egg substitute, but it definitely could have been worse! :-) So....here is another use for leftover bananas - let me know if you try it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments....please let me know you were visiting!